Saturday, February 6, 2010

New Boots and Shoes

Where (and when) I came from, that would translate as new tires (rubber boots) and new brakes (brake shoes) for the bike... Which is what I did while I was in LaPaz Bolivia for the last couple of days.





I got a new rear tire (Pirelli MT60 this time) because the one I put on in Guatemala was worn out... Not just low on tread, It had no tread, was squared off, and had no rubber left at all. I was down to the belts!!!... Definitely time for a new one.







I also replaced the front tire at the same time. The old one had done plenty of distance, was getting low on tread, and was also generating disturbing wobbles in the handling while cornering! So, I got rid of it and put the half used off-road tire (Continental TKC) that I have been carrying from Vancouver back on... Id used it for the run up to Alaska/Yukon but took it off for all the highway riding as I headed South through North America.





And while I was at it, I noticed that my front brake pads were very low too... and since I have been carrying a full spare set, I replaced the front pads at the same time.

And I replaced the oil filter and did an oil change as well... Well over due. And I bought two more spare oil filters to carry with me so that I can do more frequent changes than that last one :)

And, finally, my chain lube' ran out, so I bought a new big spray can of that too.
All in all, it took half a day to find a bike shop and do the work (cost $220).


... Now to go play in the dirt with my new tires :)))