Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Plan G

Thats about what Im up to with the route for this trip I think :)

... Which is to say that Ive changed things again :))

I was planning to ride down to Puerto Mont and then catch a short ferry across the bay and continue South on what is known as the Carraterra Austral (Southern Highway). Its not actually that much of a highway but is more of a very long gravel road that Chile has put in for about half the southern third of the country.

This area is extremely remote and is very rugged and wet... Have a look at a map and you will see that this coast is about as complex and riddled with Fjords as the west coast of Norway!
Anyway, the plan was to ride down through this amazing country and then cut over into Argentina at the last possible crossing... And continue to the bottom from there.

But!
When I got to Puerto Mont, the plan was confounded by all those Chileans on holiday... There was a FOUR DAY wait to get on the ferry!
Well, I quickly consulted the map and decided to change the planned sequence of things... Ill cut over to Argentina now, ride South on the infamous "ruta cuarenta" (route 40) and then come North on the Chilean side... Ill then cut back over to Argentina again and head further North as per my original plan :)
Advantages are that I dont wait four days, I still get to see both of these souther "highways" and I see all the country that I want to .
I may also not have the same number of tourists to deal with... Though I actually suspect that it will be the same in Argentina as here... But at least when I ride North in Chile the official vacations will be over (end of Feb)


So, thats the new plan. Lets see how it goes.