Thursday, August 28, 2014

A Mursi Village


So, after that little effort, the next day I rode into a National Park here in Southern Ethiopia, again with a guide, and visited a “Mursi” village.

The Mursi are a completely different group and number in the few thousands. Again it’s a nomadic cattle herding culture. They have different rituals that include a very large lip plate for young women (to attract the largest possible dowry from their prospective husbands. I believe the men use brutal stick fights to assume manhood, and both sexes use significant artistic body scaring in their early teen years to adorn themselves.

An interesting twist on things that I was told by the guide is that the very large lip plates for the women (that leaves their bottom lip completely deformed and useless for life) is a relatively modern trend (in the last several decades)… Apparently they (the Mursi) were losing lots of women to tribal raiders who stole the women for the slave trade (it still goes on quite a lot with the slavers based in Somalia and Sudan Im told). But the slavers don’t bother taking the women with the lip plates because their buyers find the deformed lip very ugly (I tend to agree I admit), and so the habit got reinforced and amplified as a result… The only gap in the story I can see is that the group lives no where near either Somalia or Sudan…. Hmmm.

Clothing here for both men and women is again a personal choice and it was a warmer day so there were plenty of “public penises” as well as “bare boobs” about the place… Its pretty easy to see how the people here don’t think of nakedness as anything interesting.

 

Again some villages choose to accept tourists and others don’t but the ones that do get rich and the rest I suspect dwindle! And again I did a good long meet and greet for an hour or so before I took the camera out. There is a fee to visit the village (as well as another to enter the National Park and bring in a motor vehicle) and then general pictures are free, but any of the individual pictures costs an extra fee of about 25c per person or so. Again, many of the people are a bit dressed up but they are all going about their normal daily lives.

Riding through the national Park

A decorated lead bull in the village herd




Nice shades man!

Accommodation at the village
 
This mature woman is chipping away at the big rock to make a grain grinding stone... slow work

The head man and some of his family

A younger adult man

Decorative scars

A girl and her younger brother

The girls decorations... she is just about ready to get married


An old woman


A grain grinding stone in use.


More decoration... They use scaring since tattoos just don't show on the very dark skin.
 
 
Comparing our marks :)

The village men

Scaring on a man

The bike is a pretty good ice breaker :)

BFFs


The lip plate... Huge!  She was all pouty because the guide wouldn't let me pay her what she wanted for the pictures... But she wanted the money enough to settle for the lower price.

Metal is value.


Scaring on a woman
 
That lower lip is useless for the rest of your life!


Interesting hair cuts too





They killed a goat while I was around


then the old man "reads" the entrails for the head man.

 
Its a "hands on" type skill!
 
Cut that up and share it around the village.
 
 
Younger girls decorated with bridal head dresses
 
A bit posed you think?... yeah maybe, but the guns are there and are used by small boys to guard the cattle... I see it all the time.
 
 
Put the kettle on for a cuppa would you...
 
 



This guy!




Ok, now the posing is going tooo far :)




 
And the women often have very large ear labrets too.
 

And again I felt somewhat conflicted about it because I didn’t want to take pictures of everyone who wanted me to take their picture… (they all want the attention and the status of being popular) and there were others who I did want to take a picture of but they wanted too much money and the guide said I should not bow to it, so I didn’t… Its all so commercial and capitalistic and well… consumer!

But it is what it is and I left with a bunch more pictures…. Though I decided after that that I didn’t want to go visit any more villages so that was the end of my “Cultural Crawl”.