Saturday, August 16, 2014

Monkey Down!

I was riding along the highway in Western Uganda where there are still some areas of jungle, and I came over a rise and there was a dead dog in the middle of the road... Road kill is a fact of life on any highway anywhere in the world. Its usually a domestic Dog and less frequently a native animal though its always sad when I see it.
This time however it was not a dog... As I got closer I could see that it was a Colobus monkey... I felt immediately very sad that it had messed up with our human machines (much bigger and faster than anything in the jungle)... As I rode past it I saw that it seemed completely intact and not too gruesome so I decided Id stop and take a closer look at it (They are truly beautiful animals). So I stopped the bike, turned around and parked next to it on the side of the road.

Then as I walked out to have a look at it I noticed that it moved its head.. It was alive and so had clearly only just been hit in the last few minutes (or it would have been either squished again by other traffic or collected by someone for use as "bushmeat"!
Anyway, I went straight back to my bike and put my gloves back on (as protection in case the little guy tried to bite me) and then went back out onto the road to make sure no traffic ran over the monkey again. Then I carefully touched the monkey to see how it would react... It grunted a bit and tried to move away but it was really groggy and could barely move. So I got hold of it under the arms and gently lifted it up... It didn't like it but it barely struggled... They are quite large monkeys and this was an adult male thet weighed about 7-8Kg I would guess. I carried it over to the side of the road where Id seen a second monkey... It had run/climbed off into the trees when I stopped the bike... I think these monkeys live as couples mostly (made me feel even sadder).

I had a good look at the monkey while I was carrying it and it appeared to be "intact" there were no obvious broken bones and it could move all its limbs and tail. It had a couple of minor scrapes on the eyebrow and another on its backside. Other than that it had a mouth full of blood (not good) but the blood never dripped so the flow was ether low or being swallowed (maybe not that bad).
I put the monkey down on the grass a couple of metres from the forest (and maybe 4m from the road) and let it lay there while I got my camera out to take a couple of pictures. the monkey lay there panting and having a groggy look around... It tried to get up and run away when I moved closer again but one of its back legs wouldn't support it and it fell over... The leg didn't seem broken though... but it wasn't working right.
I kept my distance and tried to decide what I should do... Not likely to find a vet anywhere nearby and even then how could I transport it on the bike... and would the vet be trustworthy about helping the monkey or just sell it for money??? (we are really out in the sticks here)
But as I pondered the situation, the monkey was getting more and more able to move (also a good sign)... Within a few minutes it had managed to move its self over to the edge of the forest and though that rear leg was definitely giving it trouble, it soon managed to climb into the bushes and get a couple of metres up off the ground. It was very wobbly but at least it was now safe from people and traffic. And its mate was nearby in the forest.
So, at that point I decided there was nothing more I could do other than give it its space so I rode away.

I have no idea if it had serious internal injuries or if the leg issue would be insurmountable but Id done all I could do.
I really hope the little guy survives... I really do!


A couple of scrapes on the eyebrow.

He tries to lift himself up and run to the forest.

The sad and confused look on his face just broke my heart :(

He made it into the trees and was looking better by the minute... So I let him be and rode on,