Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Hammar Market


And then I went to visit a local Hammar market place that is held on Mondays. The rainy weather meant there were far fewer people there than usual though I rode past many dozens of people walking along the side of the roads as I approached the market, all coming from different villages in the area… Id guess that about a third of the village people go to the weekly market.

I wandered around and looked at stuff and it had a tourist element but for the most part this market was for the people to exchange goods… like earthen bowls and grain and veggies and tobacco and firewood etc. I again diod a lot of looking around before I took out the camera. When I did take the camera out I stood back at a distance and took remote pictures… But that doesn’t really make it acceptable to me… These are effectively mostly “stolen” photographs… I felt quite conflicted about it and Im sure more than one or two of the people were offended by what I did though the guide kept encouraging me. Im not really happy with it all but I guess I learned more stuff about me for the trouble and that’s good, though how much harm/offense it did to the locals I don’t know… There are of course plenty of tourists doing the exact same thing I did here every week.

 
Everyone sitting under the eves on a rainy day at the market.







An elaborate hair do on a man



Goats for sale




Tourists checking out whats for sale.



Back scaring on an adult woman

Their hair style is unique and I admit I find it quite attractive to look at.

Casual visibility of high power arms at the market... They are just part of the ambiance, not really that much machismo associated with them.


Bundles of fire wood for sale.


The womens back scars are from a ceremony in mid teens when they demonstrate how hardy they are and so how god they are as a choice of wife.



The guys always travel with their little stool and a stick... to whack the cattle with.





 
 
 This guy was hitching as I rode back to the town I came from... He kept waving that gun around so it pointed in my face but I gave him a lift anyway,,, He wanted money for the picture like they all do but I politely pointed out that then I would want money for giving him a ride... we agreed that no money would change hands and I got the picture I wanted :)