Sunday, August 24, 2014

Made it to Ethiopia... But Only Just!




OK.

Its been a while since I posted and I figure people back home may be starting to worry about me so Ill post this short update now (Ive only just made it to a place with internet this morning) and Ill puts some other posts up with more details in a little while.

But basically, Im alive and well and have made it to Ethiopia :)

… But the last five days of crossing from Kenya to Ethiopia by another “back route” have definitely been much more of a struggle than anticipated. I crossed through one of the remotest parts of Kenya via the Western side of Lake Turkana in the NW to get to the town of Jinka in the far South of Ethiopia. The total distance traveled is probably only about 1200Km and I did about 500Km of that on the first day! After that things got tough and I was in basically every kind of motorbike terrain hell (well the dry versions of it anyway) for the next four days! Ive never been closer to collapsing from exhaustion (and only once or twice been as close), and never been so far from help if I needed it in such inhospitable conditions on a motorbike before. There have been dozens of experiences of good and bad along the way and only some of which will make it into the blog… 

But Im now back on the edges of civilization again and having a rest day :)

…more soon.