Friday, August 1, 2014

Im Really Not Good at This

Im really struggling with boredom here...

My passport with he Ethiopian visa arrived back here in Nairobi successfully this Monday, which was a bit quicker than I thought. And having that all sorted out, I focussed on immediately trying to get a Sudan visa...
So the first thing to do was to get a "letter of introduction" from the local Canadian High Commission. Id tried to get one while the Ethiopian visa application was in progress but the CHC refused to do it without actually having the passport in hand, so as soon as I got it on Monday I zipped straight back to the CHC to get the letter (cost a whopping $50!)... After waiting round for about an hour and a half, I had the letter and then headed straight over to the Sudan Embassy (other side of town) to try to submit my visa application (had all the other required paper-work ready), but when I got there I found that it was closed... It seems my timing luck is a little off at the moment since its the week of Eid (end of the month long Ramadan period for Muslims) and since Sudan is a largely Muslim nation, it is effectively the equivalent of the Western "Christmas"... and it turned out that that meant 3 days off work this week for their embassy!
So I had to wait till Thursday morning to put the application in... and it should only be a day or two to do it (apparently that's normal) so I had hopes of being on the road by say Saturday, but apparently Im being a bit too impatient!... No doubt due to the back-log created by the Eid holiday, it seems it will take 3 days to get it done, and that means I have to wait around for another weekend.
So, yet again I am delayed and what Id hoped would take only three days has so far taken a week ... ...Im really not very good at this :)

In the mean time, Ive done the refit to my motorbike which has cost me about $400 for two new tires and a set of rear brake pads, and the cost of parts and labour for fitting new head-set bearings (they had become very badly worn... probably old when I got the bike tho they were well adjusted, but all the rough dirt roads really took their toll)... And the bike is now MUCH nicer to ride around on again :)))

But that's all there is to do on the bike, and now Im really struggling to figure out how to amuse my-self while I wait.... and wait.... and wait.
But its nothing new really. Ive always been pretty bad at "being still"... Im happiest when I have some project or other to work on, and while Im happy spending lots of time thinking about things, I seem to also need to be busy physically to feel content.
When Im at home, I mostly fill the time by "making" things... Model boats and planes or motorbike projects and house renovations, or even gardening and aquarium keeping, but I always find a way to keep myself busy. But its always been a problem for me to fill time when Im not at home.
The solution when Im away from home is usually to "keep moving" but its times like this when Im "stuck" and Im away from my home space where I can make projects that are the most challenging for me.
But like I say, its always been this way for me (right back as far as I can remember) so Im sure Ill manage... At least when the waiting is over Ill feel enthusiastic about riding off into the unknown again :)