Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Back-Roads to Cuzco

Well, it seems that the rainy season has cut the road to Cuzco... Well, the one Im on anyway.
But there is another highway that is open but its probably three days ride to get there from here...

Or I could leave the bike here and walk through the damaged section (a few kilometres) and then bus the remaining 100Km or so to Cuzco... And reverse the sequence on the way back. But they say the hike is five hours or more, and my knees dont enjoy that sort of thing these days :)

But, they also say there is a smaller road that goes to Cuzco from a bit further back along the way I came... Its a dirt road and is probably rough... Itll probably take all day too... But what the heck, Im on an "Adventure Tour", so I figure Ill give it a go and we will see what happens.

So, after having spent the better part of today trying to get through on this road... And having to get past another blockage on the road where they were extracting a bus from down the side of the hill...













And then the Police would not even consider letting me go have a look at the damaged road etc... I called it a day here and found another place to stay in Abancay (didnt like the place I was in last night).

Then I spent a couple of hours wandering around the market and talking to people.
The people here are very polite and not quite sure about a Gringo on a big bike in their town... Most tourists dont stop here, they go straight through to Cuzco.




































When I am near my bike and its parked in the street, nothing happens at all till one brave one (sometimes a child, sometimes a man, sometimes a woman) decides to step up and ask a question... But, then "Its On" and pretty soon Im completely surrounded by "everyone", and I am answering questions from all directions with my confident but grammatically terrible Spanish...I really should take some more classes to improve.
But eventually I have to ride away in order to get a break, cos they will ask me questions all day :)








So, tomorrow Ill set out early on another dirt road and see what we get :))