Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Lane of My Own

I rode into Quito today.
I took a slightly different road this time, but it still crossed over the equator again. I stopped and took a couple of photos of the GPS read out cos some people said they would have liked to see it on the blog last time... So, here it is :))





The highways here are very good... That is, they are great considering the amount of climbing and falling they do through these massive valleys. But they are usually only a single lane each way, and as I got near the city, the roads got clogged with traffic. This happened last time I was here too, and it made for some very "sporting" riding to get through. This time though, the traffic was more orderly I thought, and they all just lined up neatly and waited for the line to move ahead.... maybe because it was a Sunday??
There were however no motorbikes to be seen, and I figure if there were any that they did what I did...

I simply used the lovely wide, flat, and paved shoulder of the road as my very own lane :)))
Its not wide enough for a small car, so the other drivers cant use it the same way, but I must have covered about 20km this way and only had to avoid a couple of cars stopped on the side of the road... It was no problem at all, and I rode right past two or three police cars as well, and they didnt seem to mind at all :)))



My own lane here in Ecuador makes up for having to pay at the toll booths. It was free all through Colombia (they had a special little side lane with no toll just for motorbikes), but it costs about $0.20 each time here in Ecuador...

Ya win some, Ya lose some :)