Saturday, January 30, 2010

Well, I Blew That

I was in a descent hotel for a change and I had a nice bathroom with a good shower etc, and it was time for a good "clean-up", so to speak. So I got my hair clipper out of the panniers and set about shaving off my hair again. I do it about every week or so to keep my hair as short as possible. Believe me, its much nicer without hair when you spend all your days wearing a motorbike helmet and riding in tropical and desert conditions.
Ive become pretty good at doing a good job on my own head just by feel these days, and I was happily trimming away when there was a quite a loud "Pop!" from the trimmer; and it stopped humming and emitted a sizeable puff of acrid smoke!... I wasnt expecting that!

Its a good quality unit, so it was a bit of a surprise... But, it shouldnt have been!
Back when I was doing some basic research on the trip, I recall reading (now that I have had the "Pop" experience that is!) that the voltage of domestic electricity changes from 110V to 220V somewhere about half way down South America.
But I just didnt think to check it at all before I plugged the trimmer in... The sockets are exactly the same here as they were in Ecuador... But the voltage definitely isnt!!

OK, so now I have a half a scalp of close cropped stubble and the other half of short hair... Hmmm.
So, I put on a wooly hat and go for a walk to find a place to get a hair cut... Not too hard and I explain my strange hair to the person at the hair place and we smile and then I get the rest of my hair trimmed off :))

All good, but now my trimmer doesnt work any more.
Not sure if I should just throw it out or get the winding redone? - Itll be very cheap to get fixed here; But even when fixed, it still wont help with 220V electricity... So I either pay for weekly cuts now or I buy another 220V trimmer and carry them both... Or, I could get my broken one rebuilt to work on 220V???. Hmmm ... Or I could just grow my hair!... Nahhh

Oh well, just another of those little travel related hassles :)