Friday, January 29, 2010

Picking Up Chicks!

One other little encounter for the day.

I finally managed to attract the attention of a girl with my big motorbike!


Around mid afternoon, I rounded a corner up in the high country of the range closer too the coast, and there were a couple of the Peruvian women out in the tussock fields walking toward the road. They were in the full traditional dress with their colourful shawls being used as backpacks with a load of "stuff", and their felt hats, long braided black hair and who knows how many layers of colourful skirts and cardigans on...
...And they waved me down!... Which I was not expecting but I wasnt going too fast and I didnt mind coming to a full stop to find out what was up...

They came over to the road and I could see that one was quite a bit older than the other (Id guess one at 50ish and the other at 30ish) and they started talking but it was not clear what they were saying (too much wind - always the wind! - and accent and my helmet on etc.) but the tone was a bit sad and sorry so to speak...
I took off my helmet and slowed things down and figured out that they were mother and daughter and that the mother had some kind of abdominal trouble... And they were going to the hospital in the next town... And could I help and give them a ride.

Well, the town was only 10Km away, and I was happy enough to help, but there was just no way I could get them both on the bike with me and their "luggage"... They readily agreed and decided that mother should go with me and daughter would catch up with a different ride...

So, I flipped out the rear passenger pegs and braced my legs wide so the bike wouldnt topple over on anyone!... And mother set about clambering up... waaaay up... onto the back seat. It was quite funny. There was grunting and groaning and help from daughter pushing, and I was used as a general purpose "any hold will do" clambering aid.... And eventually mother was in position :)))





I asked daughter to take a picture which she did (yep, she reaaaallly gave that button a good press :)) ) and when I showed them both the pictures on the screen of the little camera, there were giggles and huge smiles...
It was a sight to see I can tell you... They must have had at most, only half a full set of teeth between them!
Ahh but I guess thats how life is here.

So, I gave daughter a couple of oranges to eat while she waited for another vehicle to get a ride, and mother and I set off slowly toward the town.
Im guessing that it was a bit hair raising for mother though, because she was holding on to the back of my jacket with very firm grip (strong little workers hands!) and I was heaved and pushed around whenever she turned to look a different way or whenever we went around a bend and the bike had to bank over. I went as slowly and carefully as I could to try not to scare her.

And we made it OK to the next town. Mother gave me an extra tug and a word or two when she wanted to stop. She would not let me take her all the way to the hospital even when I tried to insist. She knew where she wanted to go and where she wanted to get off... So, I let it be.
Again I was "man handled" as she clambered down off the big bike (she was only 130cm tall or so). There was a heartfelt thank you from her... And then we went our separate ways...


And I rode my stead off into the sunset... Seeking other damsels in distress for whom I may be able to render assistance! :)))