Saturday, January 23, 2010

Canon Del Pato

That translates as the Canyon of the duck!

I didnt see any ducks but I did see lots and lots of tunnels for a road that runs along the side of a very steep canyon. Its actually the most similar piece of road construction to the Karakoram highway in Pakistan that I have seen... and thats an impressive piece of road engineering!
The Karakoram highway is in similarly steep and arid country and the road is effectively an open sided tunnel for many kilometres... It takes several days to drive the length of the Karakoram highway and there is a constant concern that your life is very definitely in the hands of your driver, the other drivers on the road, and "providence" :))

This road in Peru is on a smaller scale, but is still quite impressive. It was built for a railway which ran to a mine of some sort, but now its a service road for Hydroelectric facilities in the area.
The road runs from the coast up into the sierras. It gets me up to a town called Huaraz which is nestled in amongst some very large mountains including Huascaran at 6770m... and its just a few kilometres down the road... Very easy access as far as big mountains go ... But I dont do that any more, so its just a nice view for me :))
It is nice pavement for about 100Km and then becomes that really rough dirt/gravel that my bike is oh-so fond of!
But I decided to do it anyway, and I took it slowly and nothing fell off the bike :))

I did however have some problems because my lights stopped working (accumulated dust and vibration in the electrical connectors) and there are about 30 tunnels to go through, and some of them are quite long... And very dark!... I had to paddle along in the pitch black at walking speed till I got near the light at the other end.

But no real problems, and I certainly enjoyed the route.