Saturday, March 15, 2008

More About that Duck!

OK, so that was a long and convoluted post with perhaps just a little too much metaphor.
So I shall explain a little more about the duck...

As I said, the duck is a little character that showed up a few times in the cartoons of Michael Leunig. Leunig is/was a weekly cartoonist for many years in a major Australian newspaper - Hence the only people likely to "get it" would be Australians, but even then it is quite obscure.
For many years I have deeply admired the works of Mr Leunig and I have always felt that he had a "direct line to my soul" so to speak!
His cartoons are all hand drawn with ink and nib and are usually centered around kind and humble little men living their kind and humble little lives in the often not so kind world.
The duck in particular is a companion for one such little man named Vasco de Pajama who is an explorer in the great big world. He journeys far and into unknown lands where he is alone and poorly equipped. In such cases he always seems to remain calm and when things are looking bleak, he calls on his direction finding duck to indicate what direction to head. The duck is, as for me, his link to his subconscious. This is an exact metaphor for my own inner wanderings and thus I have adopted his duck!

On that note, another of Leunig´s cartoons comes clearly into my mind:
Again it is a humble little man and he is walking along a simple path through a meadow with a bird singing in a nearby tree. In front of the man, the path curves up off of the ground and loops back over, and is originating out of the top of the little mans head. The accompanying poem goes like this:

Let it out, let it go
Let it all unravel.
Set it free and it can be
a path on which to travel.

... and so shall it be.

This blog has been snap-shots of my "stream of consciousness" on this, the most rewarding and memorable trip I have ever had. The trip seems to have taken an unexpected turn (then again, maybe not so unexpected!) but I intend to keep on following the path wherever it may lead. Likewise, I intend to keep writing in my blog.

So, I may be writing about some very personal and mostly internal stuff for a while, and I understand it may not be of interest to some of my readers. If you find that is the case then by all means, sign off, and I bid you well in your own paths :)

For the rest of you who wish to "see what happens next", Hang on, and lets go for a ride!

It could get pretty weird from here :))