Friday, October 2, 2009

Run Aways!








I have three pairs of footwear that I brought on my trip.
One pair of riding boots that I wear all day every day as I ride the bike.
One pair of Teva type sandals - for the beach and when I have town days and dont need to go too far.
And one pair of runners for hikes and when I have lots of walking to do.

But, I dont have much space on the bike, so for the present, the runners have been traveling "al fresco". Which is to say that I have strapped them to the top of my top-case.
From there, they get a great view of the country as we ride along, and I imagine them behind me, sitting there with their toungs hanging out like dogs on the back of a pickup truck.

But, yesterday, they "made a run for it", Or perhaps they were just "going for a walk"?
Whatever the case, I was riding along when a car that was passing me in the next lane, opened a window and someone waived a shoe at me and shouted something...
They were trying to tell me that my shoes had fallen off!
I figured it out and nodded that I understood. Then I slowed down, did a U-turn and went back to see if I could find them.

They were fine ...
They were both together... Far from being just a pair, they are in fact a quite devoted couple it seems :)
They had made their way out of the traffic lanes and were headed South along the shoulder of the road. I stopped and scolded them for not letting me know they needed to go for a walk (I have not yet used them on this trip and I guess they wanted to get some exercise!) - Next time they should just tell me and Ill oblige them.
They were then gathered up and reattached in their propper places back on the top-case, and off we went again.

Hopefully I dont get the same problem from the spare front tyre that I am riding with ! :))