Monday, May 12, 2014

Back Tracking for Lithops

Ive decided to head back south and to the coast again... One of the things I wanted to do here in Namibia was go and see some Lithops in the wild. Ive stopped occasionally while riding along the highways in the middle of nowhere to go and wander around off the side of the road and look for them, but to no avail (they are very small and very hard to find though so no big surprise). I had been planning to get a knowledgeable guide at one of the national parks give me a few more hints as to where exactly to look for them too, but up till now, nobody Ive met has qualified as knowledgeable enough... mostly they look at me with blank stares when I tell the the word Lithops and even if they know the word, the details that follow leave me doubtful about the accuracy of anything else they say.
But I finally met someone who seems to know something, and the news is thet the little guys are only found South of where I am and only in the "fog" zone, which realistically means within 100Km of the coast and more reliably within about 30Km... So, as I said, Im backtracking two days worth to go see them :)

Then, my next problem was to find a guide that would take me to see them (since Im not going all this way to stumble around in the desert and still not find them! That wasn't too hard, but they only do tours to the area concerned for people who are interested in plants rather than animals and that's not common... most people want to go see snakes and lizards and Chameleons not lichen and thorn bushes.
But, after only a half day of waiting around, a couple of other people had booked a trip and I didn't have to pay for a guide all by my self :)

And in due course I got to see a few little Lithops plants in their natural habitat :)

They are amazing little plants with only two very succulent leaves per plant that are almost entirely buried in the ground and are coloured just like their surrounding ground... they look like little pebbles of about 1-2cm in diameter, and there are well over a hundred different varieties of them... all different colours and patterns to blend with their local terrain.