Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down


I was up and riding fairly early. I was on the highway driving along in the warm morning sunshine and I noticed that things were a bit different today… There were lots and lots of people all over the place… It took me a few Km to decide that this was not just because I was in a densely populated area, it was instead simply because it was a Sunday.

Yes, people were going to church. They were all dressed up in their “Sunday Finest”… many of the adult men in suits, the women all in brightly coloured dresses and some with nice hats, and all the kids were dressed up too. There were grandmothers hobbling along and women in twos and threes with their babies slung on their backs and the smaller children following along while playing games near-by.

The churches were mostly not as we would think of them in the developed world ( though there were a few of those too), no these were just another small straw hut indistinguishable from the other dwellings but that they were slightly larger… Tho some of them were not buildings at all, just a gathering of people around one of those village trees that I mentioned.

But, as I was riding along that morning, there was something else that was different too.. Everybody was happy and smiling and waving to me and each-other… I always try to acknowledge anybody who waves to me as I ride by and after an hour and a half of driving through this constant low-grade procession of people my arm was pretty much ready to drop off from all the waving. Even though Im scooting along the highway at about 80Kmh its easy to see the expressions on peoples faces and  to “read their eyes” so to speak, and it didn’t take more than a few minutes for me to contract the genuine happiness that the people were feeling.

And it made me feel better about the fact that life isn’t fair and that I cant justify the privilege that I have of having the money and time to ride through the world on my motorbike at my leisure and that 99% of these people that Im riding past will never have that opportunity and that most of them will likely never travel more than a few hundred kilometers from where thay were born (if that)… It didn’t make the unfairness go away or resolve my internal conflicts and questions, but for that morning at least, it certainly felt better…

I think Johnny Cash had a different aspect in mind when he wrote his song, But I agree … there’s nothing like the feeling of Sunday morning coming down J