Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Obligatory NatGeo Picture...



Yes I appear to indeed be somewhere in Africa!

... and just in case you were wondering, the women in the picture were just one group of many. They were "working" at roadside stalls (and living nearby in pretty traditional looking little dome shelters with their families) here in Namibia. They are specifically dressed up like (They are of the "Hemba" tribal group) this for "tourist" purposes and are well aware of what they are doing. I asked if I could take a picture and they were happy to do so if I paid a fee ($5) which I happily did... They also had a look at the picture on the camera, had a bit of a giggle and then tried to sell me assorted pieces of their traditional jewellery in the time honored manner of every tacky tourist roadside trinket stand that I have ever come across anywhere in the world  :)

Some people may choose to think of it as "exploitation", but its of a cultural nature rather than a sexual one, and its no more exploitive than taking pictures of any "traditionally attired" people while attending tourist activities in a foreign land ... like say Balinese dancers or an Australian Aboriginal posing with a didgeridoo....


Right what was I doing again...Oh yes, riding North :)

So, you can feel its offensive and exploitive if you choose, but Ive thought about it and I feel fine with it :)