Friday, May 30, 2014

The Smoke That Thunders


That’s the translation from a local language to English for Victoria Falls… Its my first stopping point in Zimbabwe.

Ive ridden further East and am now in Zimbabwe… again, the border formalities were very straight forward though this was the first time Ive had to use the carne’ for my motorbike (which is fine by me since Ide be very disappointed to have gone to all the time and trouble to get the thing and then not use it!)

Anyway, not too much seems different to me here yet, and everything is still quite expensive. The people seem friendly as usual though there do seem to be less people around with white skin… The population seems to be well over 90% Africans.

My first stopping point here is the Tourist hot-spot of Victoria Falls so I went in expecting the usual intensity of a tourist resort and was not disappointed J I would have liked to go for a short trip over to the Zambian side of the falls to the town of Livingston to compare but unfortunately ever since the Prime Minister of Canada said some less than flattering things about the President of Zimbabwe, there has been a heavy visa fee for Canadians in Zimbabwe… And I just don’t feel like throwing away $75 for a quick visit across the border… Oh well Ill just view the falls from the one side…

… And therein we have a minor issue. That is because its high water season here at the moment. And in high water season there is just so much water going over the falls that a pretty much impenetrable wall of spray and mist masks most of the falls from view… Unperturbed, I went to have a look… yep Its true…. After a thorough drenching and a walk of the full1Km of falls frontage I didn’t really see that much… But it was well worth doing anyway J

 










 
But I thought I might try to see a little more of the Falls from the air (a short helicopter flight didn’t cost too much and I definitely recommend it if its high water season…. Couple of pictures: