Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Briefly in Botswana


I decided that I wanted to see a little more of Botswana so I spent a day and drove South to a town called Maun… It’s the “gateway” to the West side of the Okavango delta and the associated Moremi National Park.

It’s a bit of an odd sprawled out town with no real centre but I found a cheap backpackers on the outskirts (the good thing about having my own transport is that I can look around for places to stay without the difficulties that people traveling on public transport have) and got myself settled in.

The firxt thing that you notice about Botswana when you are coming in from Namibia is that things are quite a bit more expensive… and tourist activities in Maun are probably the peak of the difference… Its all set up for “high-end” lodge stays deep within the delta region. That means fly-in stay a few days, do a few walks and canoe trips and fly out… But I don’t really have the money to spend on extended stays in luxury accommodation here ( Ive got a long way to go and not that much money to get me there). So, I looked into the options and decided Id go for a day trip in Moremi park and for a late afternoon flight over the delta to see what was there.

I had the usual challenge tho of being an individual traveler and I needed to wait for groups to form so I could tag-along on commercial trips… The flight took a day and the “game drive” took a couple more.

The flight was good and I got to see what I wanted. There was lots of game visible from the air and the pilot flew quite low too but air craft plexiglass is not that great for photography so I focussed on the experience of it rather than pictures… In the end, I thought the experience was worth the expense and Im glad I did it…

A few crappy pictures to give a bit of an idea…





 
 
 
 
 
 






 
The day trip in the park eventually came together and much like the previous drive in Etosha, it started out being very very quiet as far as animals were concerned, but in the last half hour or so there were a pride of lions to watch and even a bit of a “chase” between the lions and a couple of Giraffe, so again I was happy with the experience.










Lion thinking "mmm Rump Steak"!